Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Intro

Do you see the sunlight penetrating through the window on a warm morning?No one believes that it's May already. This school year is about to finish in three weeks. Time flies very fast, and I still remember clearly on the first day I came here. I was timid to face a new school,new friends, and a new environment. However, we shall overcome difficulties in our lives. This writing class helps me to have a lot of progress not only in writing, but also critical thinking, speaking, and analyzing as well. Last time when I opened my blog and we had written 111 blogs from September to May, so I went back and saw my previous work, which made me laugh for a while. I was just amazed by how many grammar mistakes I had made, and how many comma splices I used to have. Looking back this year, I have totally reborn and changed: my sentences are very logical in my work,which make the writing cohesive, and I have less grammar mistakes or comma splice, most importantly my pieces of writings are straight to the point but don't lack any humor.
 To start with the most obvious change in my writings--the logic of the content. Logic is very crucial to a piece of writing because it is like a wire that connects all the points together as if the points are scattered pearls. My blogs that were written in September are good if take a first look at it. But if you read for a few more times, there are some points that don't connect very well, so they don't make a perfect sense. For example, there was a blog that I post about a cup called Rango. In that blog, my sentences  are not well-organized. Even though the idea that I was trying express is very clear in this blog, yet  I wrote " I named it Rango(the bottle) because it's like a friend to me, since 70% of human body is made from water"(Jiang). Although this sentence makes my point, it still makes the readers feel that the connection is not strong enough. If I revise it now, I will write " I named it Rango because it's like a friend to me, who can reminds me of drinking water when I forget,  since 70% of human body is made from water." In this way, this sentence will make more sense, and the personification makes my description more vivid.  So, the logic of an essay of paper plays a significant role, a good logic will make the readers understand better of your point that you want to show. Therefore, I think I have made a lot of progress on logicalization owing to the fact that my sentences are more cohesive.
   Additionally, I have made a lot of progress on grammar and the use of punctuation. The first time when I was asked to write a formal essay in Toefl, I was very confident and wrote an essay that exactly followed the rubric of Toefl writing. However, the sentences were not only logical,but also I could see at least two grammar mistakes per sentence. One thing that made me proud is that  I have made this far to Writing and Comp III. After this year of practicing and revising my blogs words by words, sentences by sentences, I can see at most one grammar mistake within  two sentences. The grammar mistake I have been working on is the tense of the words. For example, there is a blog post that I found a lot of mistakes in, the blog was about rice noodles and how they represent my miss for my grandparents. At first I used present tense to describe how delicious rice noodles are, then I used past tense to describe my childhood memory. Eventually, my first draft was very confusing because when I should use past tense, I used present tense; sometimes the other way around. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to revise it again. After this year, I have less comma splice; the funny thing is that I was wondering why my sentences were awkward before I knew that the awkwardness was actually comma splice. Thus, although I still have mistakes about use of tenses, I see progress on my grammar and use of punctuation and I can even use more tenses to write.
    Last but not the least, the most obvious change I notice in my writings is its organization or languages. Before taking this class, there was only one type of writing for me; I wrote a specific “Toefl” type of writing with no sense of humor. This “Toefl” type of essay usually had exact five paragraphs, and they were so organized with repetitive points. I had been writing that type of writing for years, and I never realized that writing could be so fun. My works were always long and tedious, and I honestly do not know what I was thinking when I wrote those long essays and papers. Nevertheless, being at Writing class made me to read more examples and discuss how to make a good piece of writing. To speak frankly, boring essays will not capture potential readers’ eyes, and humor is an important element in a good essay. After infinite practicing, my writings now are more humorous but the point is very clear. One of the important things I realized in a good piece was the hook. A good hook can not only lead to the point, but also it can make the readers interested in this writing.  There was a blog about winter break that we were asked to write, and I just started like “ Reunion is the most precious thing to me”(Jiang), do you want to read through this writing if you see the first sentence? Absolutely not. When I look back, I did change my writing style, and I am glad that my pieces of writing have a clearer point and a sense of humor.
    In general, the improvements in my works are very gratifying. If logic resembles a line of a necklace, then the grammar is where the line is attached, the clear point is  the diamond, the and the humor is the decoration.
Do you see the sunlight penetrating through the window on a warm morning?No one believes that it's May already. This school year is about to finish in three weeks. Time flies very fast, and I still remember clearly on the first day I came here. I was timid to face a new school,new friends, and a new environment. However, we shall overcome difficulties in our lives. This writing class helps me to have a lot of progress not only in writing, but also critical thinking, speaking, and analyzing as well. Last time when I opened my blog and we had written 111 blogs from September to May, so I went back and saw my previous work, which made me laugh for a while. I was just amazed by how many grammar mistakes I had made, and how many comma splices I used to have. Looking back this year, I have totally reborn and changed: my sentences are very logical in my work,which make the writing cohesive, and I have less grammar mistakes or comma splice, most importantly my pieces of writings are straight to the point but don't lack any humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment