Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Honoring Rice Noodles (rivision)

                                              Honoring Rice Noodles
   China is a country with about 5000 years of history. During this long period of time, various food has been created, which makes China have a huge diversity of food in the world. However, there are different types of food in different regions. In southwest of China, where my hometown is located there, is famous for spicy food, but, I’m not going to introduce hotpot or staff like that. I want to describe a very common food in China, but people from other countries may not know-- rice noodles, and Mixian is another name for them.  I love eating rice noodles because eating them doesn't cost me much time, and they are cheap but delicious.Most importantly, they are probably the best things that can represent my childhood and immaturity. 
  First of all, rice noodles are different from normal noodles based on their appearance and taste. They are made of white rice, which make them seem white. Unlike noodles, they are not very elastic. Vulnerable, is approximately what I can describe them. When I eat them, it is very easy for me to break them. But this is also why they taste somewhat smooth, so I would rather choose rice noodles than normal noodles. Since they are noodles, I don’t need to follow the sequence of eating like I eat other food such as soup, dishes, and white rice. It’s convenient for me to eat them just with a pair of chopsticks, and you can use forks if you want. Since they are mixed with soup, they are usually called rice noodles soups. I can finish it up in twenty minutes, isn't that amazing?
  In addition, rice noodles are cheaper than those Chinese takeaways, but they are not cheap on their taste. They probably cost me under 20 RMB, while I eat a normal meal by myself it will practically cost me 100 RMB. Plus,I usually get full after eating one bowl of rice noodles.  They are cheap, but that doesn’t mean that they are not tasty. Rice noodles are not just noodles boiled with water, various spices can mix with them.For me, I prefer to put dry hot peppers, soil sauce, vinegar, garlic, and caraway. The beauty of rice noodles is that they are easy to be cooked but hard to cook its taste. These spices will make the rice noodles tasty. In fact, people could put whatever spices they want to make rice noodles delicious.
  The last but not the least thing is that rice noodles are one of the most precious things  to me. When I was young , my grandparents made very delicious rice noodles soup. Thus, every time I eat rice noodles my grandparents will come to my mind. We have less time together when I grow older, so I couldn’t eat  rice noodles they made anymore.  Eating rice noodles makes me feel home, since I eat a lot when I’m with my grandparents. However, my grandparents and me live in separate cities, so it is not very often for me to visit them. Therefore, rice noodles are like the connection between them and me. Time flies, grey hair has grown on their heads, but my love for them never changes. I feel like home when I eat rice noodles, and sometimes I can smell the scent from my grandmother even though she is far away from me. Rice noodles are memories of my childhood. 
   My parents and I all understand that I won't visit them very often once I choose to study abroad. To be honest, I am somewhat regretful, because being here means I will have less time to be with my family and friends. And yet, I have to be responsible for the path I have chosen; I am not an immature little child any longer. I remembered that my dad told me “ If you do think you can’t handle this, you are welcome to come back.” My dad said this to support me and he didn’t want to give me so much pressure. This is my decision, and I will keep going no matter what because I am already half an adult. Rice noodles are my childhood and immaturity to me, they accompanied me for years, and finally, I can’t have them anymore.Rice noodles made by grandparents are the most precious thing for me. Even though I have fewer chances to eat them, I will not forget what they taste like. Rice noodles said goodbye to me, so did immaturity and my childhood, but I will honor them because they were part of my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment