Thursday, October 30, 2014

Personal evaluation

Personal evaluation
Writing and composition is a rigorous class, which taught me a lout of things. In the beginning of this semester I have listed three goals, which I have been tried hard to pursue them. However, there are some things that I need to work on in the future.
To begin with, my first goal for this semester is to improve my skill to use correct grammar, and try to avoid grammar mistakes. Until now, I feel better about writing an essay or a paper. There were practices that helped us to know what type of mistakes that we always made in our writing. We revised out drafts and essays again and again; we also had suggestions from our peers and teacher, which helped me a lot with my grammar. I can sense that my writing is getting better and I have fewer mistakes.  One specific thing that I noticed is that I can use the same tense in an article or writing. To be more specific, if I want to past tense, I would not make mistake in one sentence. For example, “ I went to the store and bought some clothes.” I used to have mistakes like, “ I went to the store and buy some clothes.” I rarely make that type of mistake now. Therefore, I have been working well on the grammar part.
In addition, my second pursuit is to have the capability to analyze all aspects of a plot or an article. What I meant by that, I wished I could see things from different perspectives. I have worked on analyzing and criticizing, and yet I am not good enough at analysis. Last time when we wrote the draft of significant moment, I used a lot of words to describe the story-telling part, such as the star and climax of the story, but I wasn’t focus on the analysis very much. I think I should analyze when I write anything because then I can improve my writing time to time. Many students were frustrated about analyzing, and I feel the same way. However, “ No pains, no gains,” so I have to try harder. After revising the draft of significant moment, I think that I understand how to combine the analysis with story telling.
Finally, I also talked about that I want to learn more than one type of literature. I am not trying extremely hard on this part, but I have seen some peoples’ paper. For instance, I have seen some people used dialogues to narrate a story that had happened. I used to use narration to tell a story rather than using dialogues, but now, I basically understand how to write a dialogue. From my point of view, using a dialogue is more appealing and interesting than narration since the characters’ personalities can be very vivid. Plus, dialogues have a clearer clue then story telling or narration because people talk directly, and it is more unlikely to make mistakes. Besides dialogue, I also know how to write an augmentation; just as what I mentioned, writing analysis teaches me how to write an argumentation by using evidence and main idea. However, I still need more improvements because “ practice makes perfect.”
In general, I have been working on all my personal goals and I can see the improvements. And yet, I still need to focus on details when I write sentences. The mistakes are inevitable and easy to make, so paying attention is very crucial. Plus, sometimes I began to write sentences with very formal tone and I wish I could learn more about writing in other forms such as exponent. I have said many times and practicing and trying is very important, and I am going to pursue that goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment