Saturday, October 4, 2014

Grammar mistakes-sentence sprawl

                       How to make a sentence clearly and coherently?
     One obvious problem that few people focus on in students' writing  is sentence sprawl.  Of course, that is one of my problems while I am writing.  To be more specific, sentence sprawl is that the sentence is very tedious, but it doesn't explain the situation going on very well. However, this type of problem is more likely to be happen if one is thinking of oral English and he puts what he thought in the sentence.
 To confirm  this problem in our real writing, for example, in spoken English, people may say ' Um, today, I'm going to the mall trip with my friends, we are going to west farm mall, and it is the most awesome one.' This is when people speak English, but some students write this kind of sentence in their writing, which is not appropriate. This type of problem is very common in our writing, but some students neglect it. To fix this sentence , we can say' Today I 'm going to the west farm mall with my friends, which is the most fantastic one.'I abbreviate this sentence, and make it looks more concise and clear.  I can cite one more example to make this problem more concrete. For instance' It is rainy out side, so people use umbrella and hide in their uses, and then the rain stops,people all go outside to enjoy the sunshine after raining. '  This sentence use many words to connect and to describe its situation. However, we can write like this ' It is because that it's rainy outside, so people use umbrella and hide in their houses , but after the rain stops, people all come out and enjoy the sunshine after rains. '  The difference between these sentences is that  the later one makes more sense since there is a reason and a consequence.
     In order to solve this problem in my writing, I need to practice the ability of speaking and writing concise sentences, like summarizing the main thesis of an article. Plus, I need to write logically, write with the cause and effect relationship.  I need to write clear sentences every time in want to express the situation of something since people would get confused if I write a sentence with 'and, and, so.' To work on this, I will have to read more articles, to see how the authors cope with their sentences. What I need to do is not only read more, but also write more by myself. However, quotes may be helpful to me because quotes are always clear and concise, and quotes express points directly.  This semester,I need to improve my skills in writing coherent sentence and express myself in a direct one.

No comments:

Post a Comment