Sunday, October 19, 2014

the hardest thing in writing

    Significant moment: combination of analysis and story telling
  I wrote about my significant moment about how I learned to swim when I was six years old. In this writing, I used many paragraphs to focus on the part of story telling, however, the part of introduction and analysis are more difficult for me to write.
  To begin with, the introduction is significant to the whole writing since it is used to attract viewers’ interest in reading this writing and to narrate the basic content of the story. However, one thing that was hard for me was the hook. I know what a hook is like, but I cannot write a very appealing one to start my writing. So, I struggled for a moment and I tried to come up with an attractive one, and then I found out I need to make an exaggerated one in order to capture viewers’ interests.  Then I need to state my thesis, which could not be too general or too specific. In the meanwhile, the thesis is supposed to be clear and it should be easy for the readers to understand. After thesis, a bridge is required in an introduction as it connects the introduction to the body paragraph. The bridge needs to be natural and I have been working on it since I am not really good at this. Therefore, I think the introduction is difficult for me since I need to put many important things to start my writing.
 Besides introduction, the analysis part is very crucial to the whole writing. However one common mistake that many students would make is that the ratio of the whole writing for analyzing is too small. Before revising my writing, I wrote about 40 sentences to narrate my story, and only12 sentences are analysis. Thus, what I lack was the details for analysis, I just basically talked about what I learned from this lesson, but I did not explain with examples specifically. For instance, I wrote “I realize that learning is continuous and there is more than one way to learn such as practicing and trying. I did not explain anything about practicing and trying, so people could not see the reason why there is more than one way to learn, why practicing and trying is so important. Writing analysis is hard because I have to think of one thing from different perspectives rather than see things from one perspective. Plus, how to add analysis while telling the story requires the techniques to arrange the analysis and story. To make people think while they are reading is one of the hard thing to do.

   In short, this paper was a little challenging for me, and I revised it for several times. After doing peer suggestions and teacher’s suggestions, I felt much better about it. Introduction and analysis are crucial for the whole paper, where as story telling part just requires me to tell the story clearly and vividly. Therefore, I need to work harder on these two.

No comments:

Post a Comment